Monday, August 2, 2010

Goodbye Weston

This August marks a big change in the lives of my mom, stepdad and little brother. After almost 25 years living in Weston, they're packing up and moving to a condo near Fort Lauderdale beach this Friday morning.

While I have some reservations about watching them leave the house I've lived in (give or take a few college years) from the time I was 5 to the time I was almost 23, it's time for them to move on. My little brother Brandon is not so little anymore - he's beginning 10th grade in a few weeks and is getting ready to drive - in 3 short years he'll be off to college and starting his own life. And my parents are ready to downsize - they no longer need a two story house with a pool and a huge living room.

This house has been such a big part of my life - even though I haven't lived there for almost 5 years, it will always be home. It's the place where I swam with my best friend and neighbor Laurie every day during our elementary school summers, where we set up Brandon's nursery before he was born, where we had Thanksgivings and Passovers, where I took pictures before homecoming dances, where we held my high school and college graduation parties and more recently, my baby shower and Diana's first birthday party just a few weekends ago. Her party was a wonderful way to end so many years of memories.

I'll miss going over there to swim and eat Sunday night dinners and I'll miss Weston with its palm tree lined streets and little town center. But it's time to move on and make new memories.

Here are a few pics we took over the weekend when we went down to say goodbye to my childhood home on 1075 Capistrano.

No comments:

Post a Comment