Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Diana goes to Disney

Even though Danny and I are both huge Disney fans, we weren't planning to take Diana up to Orlando until sometime after her first birthday - at this age, we weren't sure if she'd be old enough to enjoy all the overwhelming sights and sounds of the theme parks. BUT, it just so happens that Danny was invited to play in a golf tournament at Orange County National and we also heard that cousin Alex was going to be in a play the same weekend (my Uncle Rob, Aunt Caryn and Alex live in Celebration right near Disney). So we thought, why not? Let's make a weekend out of it and introduce Di to Minnie Mouse! We started preparing her, playing her It's a Small World and showing her a Minnie Mouse doll from Aunt Jo. I also spent about two full days packing. When it was just Danny and I, we'd throw clothes in an overnight bag the morning we were leaving...with a 10 month old - packing is a whole different story!


This past Friday morning, we finally got the car packed up and were on our way. I was so excited that my mom and Aunt Jo decided to join us for Di's first Disney trip! Three hours later, we checked into the Embassy Suites, ordered some Uno's pizza for dinner and got ourselves back into the car to see cousin Alex play Grandpa Joe in Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. He is such a natural! Alex is always involved in activities both in school and in the community and we finally got to see him in action.

          On Saturday, Danny headed out to play golf and Uncle Robbie, Aunt Jo, Grandma Susie and I took Diana to EPCOT. She had THE TIME OF HER LIFE! We really underestimated how much she would enjoy everything! We waited in line to see the characters and she wasn't scared at all - Minnie Mouse was predictably her favorite - she recognized her right away. We also went on the Land, the Living Seas with Nemo and the River Ride in Mexico. Then Grandma Susie took her in the little kids water play area and they both got soaked!! Aunt Jo left the park after that to head back to Ft. Lauderdale and Danny joined us. Grandma Susie watched little Di while Danny and I finally went on Soarin' - something we've been wanting to do for 3 Disney trips but the wait was always too long. We had dinner in the park, and went back to the hotel and crashed! EPCOT really does stand for Every Person Comes Out Tired!

Magic Kingdom was on the schedule for Sunday. We did the stroll down Main Street and both Grandma Susie and Uncle Robbie bought her a Minnie Mouse outfit. Although Di enjoyed It's a Small World, she was more impressed by Buzz Light Year and the spinning car we were in - I think I finally have a partner in crime to ride roller coasters with me!

It was so neat to see Disney through our daughter's eyes. I remember by parents taking me on some amazing Orlando vacations and now that Danny and I have a family, I can't wait to start our own traditions. We're already looking ahead to our next trip, probably in the fall when Diana is a little older. What a great vacation!

3 comments:

  1. I've been waiting for this post. :) So amazing that you got to experience Disney for the first time through the eyes of your little girl. It looks like she loved every moment! And I love the picture of you, Danny and Di infront of the Ecpot ball -- if that picture doesn't say love and joy, I don't know what does!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Heath!! We really did have a great time. I miss you, we need to catch up soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was OUTSTANDING having you all in Orlando.
    There never seems to be enough time to spend together, so much to do in Disney. Thank you for supporting Alex and his thespian undertakings. Lady D was such a joy and her smile remains etched in my mind and heart. Love you all.

    Uncle Robbie

    ReplyDelete